The holidays are coming faster than I keep up with! As much as I love posting about I make, it takes a lot of work too. And just for a little while and im going to take a mini vacay and step back from blogging. But I will be back, I promise! I will still post things I make on Instagram , so make sure you're following me on there!
While getting online last night for something...I ended up completely distracted and found myself reading this recipe for Coffee Cake! How these things happen I don't know, but in this case im glad they did! Matt finished tucking the kids in while I preheated the oven and gathered the ingredients. Then while he was off to 7-11 for a little treat for us (don't be too excited, a treat for us now is a large coke!). During that time I was able to whip this recipe up and have it in the oven!
So much crumble! And I got to use my new spring form pan too!!
1. Preheat oven to 350°f and grab a big bowl. Mix together 2 cups flour, 1 cup & 2 tbsp sugar, and 1 tsp salt. Then slowly cut in 1 ½ sticks (at room temp, so I popped mine in the micro for about 10 second after taking them out of the fridge). Once it crumbly scoop out 1 cup of it and set it aside.
2. Then add 1 tsp baking powder and ½ tsp baking soda. Stir that up and add 3/4 cup of buttermilk (or as I always do: put 1 tbsp of vinegar into a measuring cup and fill to 1 cup line with milk and let it set for 5 minutes), 1 egg, and 2 tsp vanilla extract. Then using a mixer, mix together for a couple minutes until very smooth.
3. You'll want to make this in a spring form pan, so make sure to grease it and then toss in some flour over the oil/butter/Pam to coat it, don't forget the sides!. And pour your cake batter in.
4. Take the cup of the flour mixture you set aside and add to it 2/3 cup of brown sugar and 1 tablespoon of ground cinnamon. Mix it well then sprinkle it on top of the batter. You will want to press it into the batter so it sticks to it. Then into the oven it goes!
5. I'll apologize now for this grueling wait of 50-60 mins while it cooks! Its miserable with the sweet aroma of cinnamon and brown sugar wafting throughout the house! But once its done, test with toothpick, take it out and let it set for at least 10 minutes. Then take out of spring form pan. I couldn't wait after this, I ate it right away! Haha!
This was great piping hot last night and then this morning with my coffee. After Matt gobbled down his piece he turned to me and said he could not believe that I had just made and thought MAYBE I had bought it and just warmed it in the oven hehe!
So even if its the day before grocery shopping after 2 weeks of eating the fridge and pantry clean, you can probably scrounge up the ingredients for this impressive little cake!
Ingredients: 2 cups flour, 1 cup & 2 tbsp sugar, 1 tsp salt, 1¼ stick butter, 1 tsp baking powder, ½ tsp baking soda, 3/4 cup buttermilk, 1 egg, 2 tsp vanilla extract, 2/3 cup brown sugar and 1 tbsp ground cinnamon - oil/Pam to grease pan and flour