07 March 2013

Rainbow Cupcakes

As a treat with the kids, we made some cupcakes and I thought it be really fun to do rainbow ones. Then I found some rainbow candy strips at the store and thought that'd be cute on top. Both ideas I saw on Pinterest, but *I* put the two together ;) These are supposed to be for St. Patrick's Day because the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow....get it? A lot of people didn't :( But hey, they turned out SUPER cute so I'm only the tiniest bit bummed!


1. You really just make a white cake, like this one from a box. (It says "White" on that little blue label the Pyrex is covering, cant you see?) It calls for 1⅓ cups water, ⅓ cups veg oil, and 3 egg whites. Mix that all together and then divide by however many bowls to make into different colors for the rainbow. I used 6!


2. For each one I added food coloring. I had my kids helping me so a couple extra drops got added here and there, but they were learning about color mixing so it was worth the educational experience!
(Drops) Red: 4red, Orange: 3yellow 2red, Yellow: 3yellow, Green: 3yellow 2blue, Blue: 3blue, Purple: 3red 2blue
(I'm totally guessing based on how I guessed when I originally mixed these, buts it'll give you an idea, ill write it down next time!)


3. This is the tricky part. I made 24 cupcakes and that really was pushing it. If you want this to be semi-easy I would try for 18 cupcakes. You could probably do a spoonful into each cup. So line your cupcake tins with however many cupcakes you want to make. Then you have scoop each color into the liner, color by color. It takes a while, I'm going to warn you.


4. Bake at 350°f for 18-24minutes. After 18mins mine were done. Just push the tops and make sure they bounce back. They came out surprisingly close to the color they were before baking!


I had some cream cheese frosting in the back of my pantry which went perfectly! Then I topped it with the rainbow candy I bought! (I've never looked for this specific candy before but I bought them at the gas station in case you're wondering)


Eat up!...


...and get more!


INGREDIENTS: box of white cake mix, cream cheese frosting, rainbow candy strips, food coloring, water, veg oil, eggs

 
♥ Happy St. Patrick's Day ♥

1 comment:

  1. I am obsessed. I feel like there are so many occasions these are relevant!

    ReplyDelete