07 March 2013

Boston Cream Pie

So, this is the recipe for the picture of the Boston Cream Pie I posted on Instagram a couple weeks ago. I was actually house sitting for my mother in law, so it was all made in her kitchen. We are still on the house hunt and I'm stuck in my tiny, natural light-less kitchen for now. But this recipe came about because someone had bought one of these for our Bible Study and I loved it. Like fell in love with it. I honestly cant remember actually ever eating Boston Cream Pie before, but maybe I just wasn't paying attention the name and just enjoyed the dessert!

(I kinda want to preface this recipe with, if you think this is like a cake or pie where you make the filling pour into a mold or crust and bake at 350°f for 15-20mins, this is NOT one of those recipes. This was really hard, and I would almost say no worth it to make yourself. Which sounds really bad, but I like to enjoy when I am bake something and this recipe was so stressful. I'm gonna have to say that next time my sweet tooth is calling out for Boston Cream Pie I'm probably driving 3 minutes down the street to Safeway and saving myself the agony of making one of these again.)


1. I am glad that I got this step done first, because the kitchen got messy! (Sorry Linda!!) You need two pie pans about 9inches or so, just make sure they are the same size. Take some butter and make sure they are really greased up, then sprinkle flour over and move the pans around so the butter part gets covered in flour!


2. Next, you're going to cream 6 tablespoons of butter and 3/4 cup of sugar till its fluffy. Then one by one, mix in 2 eggs, and 1 teaspoon vanilla extract. Preheat oven to 375°f.


3. In a separate bowl mix together 2 tablespoons flour, 1 ½ cups cake flour, 2 teaspoons baking powder, ¼ teaspoon salt. Then slowly add that to butter/sugar bowl, between adding the flour, mix in ½ cup of milk. Beat it until its a smooth texture between adding the flour and milk.


4. Pour half of the mix into one pie pan and the other half in the other pan. And into the oven they go for 15mins. If you press on the top of the cake, it should bounce back, then you know its done baking.


5. For the custard. In a pot pour in ½ cup light cream (I couldn't find any so I used half and half) and ¼ cup milk. Cook this on medium until little bubble starts coming up on the edges. Quickly add in 3/4 cup of sugar and stir it until it dissolves.


6. Now you'll whisk together ¼ cup of milk with 4 teaspoon of cornstarch, make sure there are no lumps.


7. Whisk in two eggs.

8. Whisking constantly, mix together the eggs/milk, with the hot milk/sugar and return to heat.

9. Once on the heat, slowly heat it up and stir, stir, STIR! I'm going to be totally and admit I had to throw this all out and redo it because it burnt! Once it starts clumping up, it just heated too fast and burnt on the bottom, and I was really stirring. So the next time I let it heat up a little slower and once it started boiling then I stirred it really fast and concentrated on NOT letting it burn. This is a little part of why I disliked this recipe :P Once its clumpy, add in 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract and remove from heat.

10. Probably by now your timer for your cakes has gone off, unless you're really super fast with the custard part! So just let me cool, while you let the custard cool too. This would be a great time to get started on a chocolate frosting if you wanted to make one. You can see in the progression of the recipe, its gone from natural light outside to very dark night time, in total this whole recipe took me about 2 hrs!

11. Once everything has cooled down, take your pies/cake (whatever they are!) out of the pans and lay one down and cover it with the custard.

12. Take the other one and sandwich it! (I really smushed mine together after this)

13. Tah-dah! I wanted to get a nice shot of it sliced up and on a plate, but that is when my camera, of course, died. But there she is, the final product! Yum!!  ( I btw used a jar of chocolate fudge frosting I bought at the store hehe)





No comments:

Post a Comment