12 September 2013

Chicken Noddle Soup

Originally this was supposed to be chicken and rice, but after inspecting my cupboard the box of rice I knew I had turned up empty. Ain't that the way things go? So, luckily, I was able to finish off 2 almost empty boxes of noodles instead. Now making my pantry SUPER empty. Can you tell I'm putting off shopping day? There is little in life I dread more than taking 2 kids to the supermarket when they are already tired, hungry and getting their 2nd wind for the day. Noooo thanks. So because I have little to eat in the house I was struggling for lunch ideas. Fortunately it was a pretty cold morning today and I could whip out some fall/winter recipes, woot woot. The chicken I pulled out frozen from the freezer, the celery I had growing in the yard, and the sweet potatoes were the last veggie left in the drawer, which luckily is all you really need!



Here's the celery I got from the garden. I used the whole bunch because the stalks are still a little thin.





Oh yes, I had half an onion in the fridge as well, so I threw that in. So I cut up the celery and even used some of the leaves, then cut up the sweet potatoes and onion. I threw in some garlic too, about 2 cloves.




Next, I took some cooked some chicken and shredded it with forks. I used two breasts that were boiled in water for about 20mins. Throw this into a big pot with the veggies and rice or pasta and cover with water. Then I threw in 3 chicken bouillon cubes and added 1 tsp of red pepper flakes. You can add herbs like bay leaf and thyme, but these are also on my shopping list so I had none. I let this simmer for about 1 hr.




Here it is! I made some fresh bread to go along with it. It was a nice homemade surprise for Matt when he got home from lunch :)

Ingredients: 2 chicken breasts, 2 cups pasta or 1 cup rice, 1 sweet potato, 1 celery bunch, 3 chicken boullion cubes, 2 cloves garlic, water, herbs (optional), red pepper flakes (optional)



Other soups you may enjoy:
Corn Chowder
Marseille Bouillabaisse
Chicken Noodle Soup (Other variation) 

No comments:

Post a Comment