15 May 2012

Grandma Smith's Butterscotch Bars

For Mother's Day, my grandma and I baked these delightful little cookie bars! I've been eating these as long as I can remember. Always my favorite treat at any of our Smith side of the family gatherings. And now, I have the recipe!


1. In a large glass dish (or other microwaveable container) measure out half a cup butter or margarine and a bag of butterscotch chip morsels.


2. Place dish in microwave and heat for 30-45 seconds, then stir, then repeat until they are completely melted.


3. After about 2mins 45secs it looked like this. It was pretty much all melted, just the butter and morsels didn't completely combine.


4. Measure out 2 cups of graham cracker crumbs...I just found out you can actually buy the crackers already in crumb form! Excellent! Chop up 1 cup of walnut and add to graham cracker mixture.

5. Mix the morsels with butter and the graham crackers into a crumble, it doesn't have to be perfect because a little extra butterscotch in a bite is like striking gold for your taste buds!

6. In a greased baking dish (large) spread (HALF ) of the crumble into the bottom in an even layer. Make sure to get the corners and edges too because this will be the support for your bars.

7. For the center, you will need 1 can of condensed milk,  8oz bar of cream cheese, an egg, and 1 tsp of vanilla.

8. Place the step 7. ingredients into an electric mixing bowl. Turn on to low-medium.

9. The filling should be mixed until smooth. Little bits of cream cheese are ok because those will melt down once baked.

10. Pour cream cheese and milk filling on top of the crumble base and smooth out.

11. Carefully top with the other half of the crumble. Add this very gently so that you still have filling layer separate. Pop in the oven at 350 ° for 25-30mins. The top should brown just a little! Let cool.

12. There you have it! A delicious little bar!! :) Mmm...this is happiness in a bite! Ok..so maybe this ONE doesn't look too great. But I made these for my family camping trip with my grandma and left them at her house to cool. Then when she came up to picnic after we all camped, I transported a stash back with me on a paper plate, ate all but this ONE, realized I didn't have a pic of the bars and so here it is. 5 days later, and still REALLY yummy!

I love these old recipe cards! Good luck deciphering these babies!


♥ Grandma Smith, Me, Siena & Riley  ♥










1 comment:

  1. I love the recipe card! I have a few of those well-loved ones too, they're the best. This looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete