10 May 2013

Angel Food Cake

I've come to the conclusion that I *kinda* dug myself a little hole....but in a good way. See, the last two times when I got asked to bring snacks for bible study I went all out with White Chocolate Covered Pretzels and Homemade Soft Pretzels (Haha both pretzels, how funny!). So, for me to now bring something store bought, would be a little underwhelming. But I can honestly say that sometimes I REALLY need a kick in the bum to get off the couch and make something homemade! With all these fresh berries in season (and on sale I must add!) I had to make something I could top with them!


1. (I should preface that when I made these I was excruciatingly tired!) First, you will need to separate 12 egg whites (I froze the yolks in batches of twos) in a big bowl, add to the whites 1/3 cup warm water, 1 teaspoon of orange, lemon or vanilla extract (any will work), and 1½ teaspoons of cream of tartar. Whisk together until combined.

2. Once combined it should just be a bit frothy. Slowly sprinkle it in about 1 cup of sugar and beat at a medium speed. You're going to want to continue at a medium speed until you have medium peaks! Preheat oven to 350°f.

(medium peaks)


3. Then add in 1 cup sifted cake flour and 3/4 cup of sugar by sprinkling it on top and folding it on top until it is all combined. Pour into an ungreased angel food cake pan and bake for 35 minutes. (Since this part takes a bit, I was busy running around and didn't get a pic! Oops!) Once they come out of the oven, you'll need to flip the pan upside down so it can cool about an 1hr. This will make it nice and airy and not sticky (I learned the hard way :( wah.).

After you have these lovely little desserts (I used mini Bundt cake pans for a couple) top with whipped cream and fresh berries. Great for dessert or breakfast ;P Yum!


No comments:

Post a Comment